They're doing what they can to get this out: they even had some fire trucks from the airport come in and try to put it out. Apparently a back hoe (that they brought in to try to break through the mulch so the firefighters could spray the actual fire) was the one that broke the barrier and allowed run off in the creek, which runs into a river, which resulted in the dead fish. So, his duties have changed to try to build back up the barrier to save the fish. Poor guy! If it was a mistake, he must feel awful!
The more they spray water on the pile, the more smoke. Businesses and residences have been told to turn off the HVAC if it brings in outside air, and the fire dept. captain advised to watch for carbon monoxide poisoning, even though the material is organic. It's expected to continue burning for days.
Photos by Mark McIntyre, special to the News-Sentinel
So...has there been anything exciting going on where you live?