Joyce gives us a few questions to ponder every Tuesday so we can post our answers, link back to her, and see how everybody else answered on Wednesday.
1. Every January 1st since 1976 Lake Superior University has published a list of words they'd like to see banished from the Queen's English. Words may be banished due to mis-use, over-use or just general uselessness and they receive over 1000 nominations. Here are the fourteen words/phrases they'd like to see banished in 2011-viral, epic, fail, wow factor, a-ha moment, back story, BFF, man up, refudiate, Mama Grizzlies, The American People, facebook/google when used as verbs, I'm just sayin', and Live life to the fullest.
What word or phrase would you like to see banished from our everyday vocabulary in 2011? You can choose one from the 'official list' or you can get creative and come up with your own.
How about the "F" word. I absolutely loathe that word. Or, how about "My bad"? Why do people say that? Is it because they're so lazy they can't say, "I'm sorry. I made a mistake."?
2. Do you consider opportunity something that comes to you or something you create for yourself?
I think it's a little bit of both, depending on the situation. I do believe in "being at the right place at the right time", but I also believe that it's God's hand.
3. Since we're all eating healthy this month, ahem, what's included in your favorite salad? Is there dressing?
Fried chicken (so much for healthy, huh?), lettuce, tomato, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, red onion, mushrooms, cheese, and, to top it off, honey mustard dressing.
4. The fourth Monday in January is said to be Blue Monday...aka the most depressing day of the year. The date was calculated using many factors including weather, debt level, time since Christmas, time since we've failed at our new year resolutions, low motivation and feeling a need to take action. Do you get the blues this time of year and if so what is something you do to lift your spirits?
Nah, I like winter.
5. Do you wear a watch? Any other everyday jewelry essentials?
No, I don't wear a watch. I always, always have my diamond studs in the top hole of my ears. Sometimes I switch out the bottom earrings, depends on how lazy I'm being! I also always wear my wedding rings...both of them. I have a band that I got when I got married that I wear on my right hand, and the set that CH got me a few years later on my left hand.
6. What is something useful you learned in high school?
I learned some Spanish that actually comes in useful at work every now and then. I guess I should say that I began to learn Spanish; it was my minor in college, so high school was just the beginning!
7. Do you use an accountant when completing and filing your income tax returns or do you attempt to muddle through all by yourself?
You'd have to ask CH; he takes care of that stuff.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Today is Day 3 of our snow vacation. We had 4 1/2 inches Sunday night, and it has snowed on and off since. I don't foresee the school district where I work having school until Friday, if then, since it's suppose to not get above freezing until this weekend. The kids go an extra 15 minutes every day, so there are some snow days built in. I think we have 6 or 7 days built in. After that, I don't know if we'll have to start making them up. In SC, the legislature would forgive some days that we couldn't make up, but I'm not sure what Tn. does. Looks like we're going to find out
One of my sisters sent this e-mail to me. I thought it was very fitting with all of the snow!
"I just got off the phone with a friend.
She said that since early last night the snow has been falling and is nearly knee high and is still falling. The temperature is dropping and some frozen rain and wind is increasing. Her husband has done nothing but look through the living room window.
She says that if it gets much worse, she may have to let him in."