Let's see if I can think of 5 favorite things that happened this week. I've been such a bear lately; hopefully this will go well!
1. NO SCHOOL TODAY! My favorite meteorologist predicted snow last night. I woke up at 5:30 and...nothing. I should be used to it; this happens every winter. I guess weather predicting is a little tricky in the valley. Anyway, I got up this morning, let the girls out, and decided to hop on the 'puter. While I was on FB, I got a message that the school system I work for called off school. We're suppose to get some snow today, so I guess the powers that be decided it would be easier to just call off school than have us get there, then have the monotony and confusion of leaving early; making sure the kids get home, as well as the staff. We have some pretty curvy, tricky roads here when the weather is bad. So glad I got Dexter: Season 4 yesterday! I have that and a good book to read today, so I'm all set.
2. Back to school. I realize that statement totally contradicts #1, but it was good to get back into a routine.
3. Keeping with the "back to school" theme: I had a couple of kids say their /r/ this week! I couldn't believe it! (/r/ is the hardest sound in the English language to make. Say 'er' and think about what your tongue is doing...it's a pretty complex sound!) I had just about given up hope on these kids...they are at the end of their speech therapy stint! I give each student 2 years: if they don't progress at all, then I dismiss them. One of these students is in 4th grade, the other is in 3rd. The 4th grader has worked so incredibly hard to get this sound, and, when we left for break, he was close to getting it, but didn't have it. The 3rd grader had just started working on /r/ in nonsense syllables. Sometimes all it takes is a little break! The happy dance may have been involved on Wednesday!
4. Meeting a new student yesterday. I have a student who was placed with me before Thanksgiving, but, due to some illnesses with him and his family, I hadn't met. Yesterday was the day. What a cutie pie! I can't wait to see what he can do!
5. This was waiting for me in my box at my school yesterday:
My "Lunch Buddy" gave me a Starbucks Gift Card! He's the best! This is also the teacher of "Skunk Ape" and "The Poop Book" fame. He's a riot!
What was the highlight of your week?